Tuesday, January 8, 2008

This is a pen and ink and gouache' watercolor picture of some iris....Iris are my favorite flower, for one thing iris bloom in more colors than any other flower. Plus my grand mother was the president of the State Iris Society in 1948, I can remember her buying an Iris bulb for $5 in 1945 and I thought my grand dad was going to have a heart attack. $5 was a lot of money in 1945. But my grand mother raised chickens and she sold the eggs and saved the money to buy the Iris bulb. The Iris she bought was pink, so that is why this Iris pic is pink.....plus it was hers and my favorite color. This is a large (8" X 24") porcelain clay wall hanging. I took a porcelain clay workshop where we rolled out slabs and then pressed shapes into the clay. They were fired with a process where when the clay is so hot it turns white, salt is thrown into the kiln and the salt burns into the porcelain making the beautiful brown colors you see here. I did some other pieces the same day, and I add fibers coming out of the holes. I sold them and forgot to take pics of them. But I made enough money to pay for the workshop and the supplies.....can't beat a deal like that and it was a fun and educational experience.

3 comments:

Moonwillow said...

Wow Linda, that is georgous! a nice story about Grandma too, made me smile. I love the clay slab too I wish I had somewhere to try that one out myself.

Anonymous said...

Linda, your Iris painting is beautiful. Your clay slab is great too. I think you are really talented. I'll have to check your blog more often!

Unknown said...

Grandma would have loved this pic - Linda you are one talented lady!! Love your clay too, the mind boggles as to what you are going to show next - keep it coming
MISS INSPIRATION X