Thursday, November 29, 2007

Starting to Alter New Book

Started work on the new Altered Book for the "Our Round Robin Altered Book" Group today. I mean seriously working, had already torn out some pages. The book I am using to alter is a 1957 printing of "Look Homeward Angel" by Thomas Wolfe, so I chose "Angels" for my theme. The book has 658 pages, and there are only 10 players in our RR so I divided the book in half, and tore out have of those pages. Today I used Golden Gel Medium to glue the rest of the pages together, waiting to dry now, and I am going to put a drawer into these pages(324 to 658). That way I can put my sign-in sheet in the drawer. I am using a gift card tin, from Michele's for the drawer, but can't decide if I want to go through my hardware stash and find the right size knob or if maybe I should use a large bead. I have drilled a hole where I want the drawer pull to be and I could use a bead by just putting a screw through the bead and then through the hole and put a nut on the screw. We'll see?

Used some green leather to cover the spine on the out side, I cut a square hole in the leather where the name was, leaving the original name visible, then I glued the leather all the way down the spine, got a piece of cardboard the size of the spine and layed that on the spine and bound it all together with rubber bands to dry. The reason I used the card board was so the rubber bands would not make an indention in the leather while it was drying. I am using a brown paper bag to cover the rest of the book, because this book has to "travel" all around the US and the other players have to work in it, so it needs to have a substantial cover, and brown paper it "tough" stuff. Also it will be very forgiving when I apply embellishments to it when it returns, it really is better not to put a lot of 3D embellishments on a book that other people are going to work in. It just makes it easier for them and I can decorate it however I want when I get it back. I am taking some pics and will post them after while.

I have also been working on the "unending series" of "I Wanna Be A Star" AT Cs and will scan them and post them after while also. These little pieces of art are really fun and they are a great fill in thing while I wait for the glue to dry on my other projects, and the dish washer to get finished.

Of course posting on my blog is also a good thing to do while the glue and paint are drying. Of course some times I do use the heat tool, oh my! My grandmother always said patientence is a virtue.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I can't wait to see pictures of this book, I am fascinated to see how you achieve the little draw, I have bought some books to alter from skybluepink.com and the drawer sounds like a really good idea. sooooooooo don't forget photos please xx