Monday, April 14, 2008

Where The Green Fern Grows

This is the inside back cover of my AB for the ICE in Altered Books Group Round Robin...We are mailing today and everyone is very excited to get this project rolling.

This lizard image was a B&W pic from a book I got at a used book store called "Book Trader". The book title is " World of Strange Animals" and I bought the book ($2) to use as an Altered Book...but when I chose my theme (nature) for the RR on the ICE Group, I remembered buying the strange animal book and looked in it for pics to use in the ICE Group book...Only problem was that most of the pics were black & white, and you know me..."gotta' have that COLOR"...so I used my gel pens to color the Iguana and write my introduction and instructions for my book. Then I sprayed it with clear cote sealer...gel pens don't always dry real fast and can be sticky for a while...but the sealer took care of that problem. These Flamingos (on the left side of this spread) are from the same book as the lizard, and so is the big shell. I used gel pens to high light the pink in the Flamingos and I sewed and glued vintage pearls on the shell pic. I painted the whole spread with Golden Glaze, then I folded down the page to make a pocket. I added some feathers (I just love feathers, don't you?) and some beaded fringe that has little teeny tiny sea shells on the ends. There are small pink ribbon rose buds in the beaks of the Flamingos. I made some tags with the words "By The Sea, By The Beautiful Sea" and added those to the page. I'm not sure that you can see the beaded/teeny tiny sea shell fringe at the bottom of the page....but it is there... I added pink card stock to the back of the shell pic for stability because it hangs over the edge of the page. I found the pink poka-dot candle in my stash and I always think pearls look better by candle light.

This page is called bugs...the back ground paper is some of the great paper that I got at the Flax store in San Francisco...and the big red flower with the beetle came from the same book as the lizard, flamingos and shell (only it was already in color). The feathers are Wild Turkey feathers from a hunter friend of mine, he teaches with me at Rose State College and he brings me Pheasant and Turkey feathers every year...gotta love that. The brass metal leaves are from a wreath candle holder I got at the thrift store for .50....I just cut them off with wire cutters and flattened them with a hammer. I just love 50% off Senior Citizen Day at the thrift store...there are so many advantages to being a Senior Citizen....lol....really!


16 comments:

Ingrid Dijkers said...

Greetings Linda, How very cleverly you have designed these pages. Love the way you carried the shape of the shell over to the next page. And of course the pearls on the shell are just too wonderful. Thanks for sharing this....I think I need to go and pull out shell related "stuff" to work with now.
Best-
Ingrid

glimmering prize said...

Hi Linda!
Thanks for your sweet comments about my RR AB. Hope you are enjoying you RR as much as I am mine.
Lorraine

Erasmuse said...

Fantabulous Linda! Everything is absolutely beautiful and the coloring job on the iguana is perfect. I thought it was a photo at first!

Pam
http://alteredmymuse.wordpress.com/

Babytreese said...

What a fantastic job Linda!! You really do inspire me! Thanks so much for sharing!!

Kim said...

WoW! Linda this spread is amazing... I have a bunch of cool b&w prints I haven't been brave enough to color, but I am going right downstairs and pull out my pens and pencils... what an inspiration.

Ms Dragonfly said...

love these pages! so creative :)

Cindy Roland said...

I am breathless!! What gorgeous art you have created! Love it!

Val Foster said...

Hi Linda. These spreads are just beautiful, and so detailed. I especially like the flamingo one. I have that same beaded shell fringe, what a coincidence. You do great work. Thanks for sharing.

mary schweitzer said...

Wow, I'm speechless! What fabulous work! Can't wait to see more.
Mary

mary schweitzer said...

Check out my blog, you've been awarded.
Would you mind if i added you to my link list?
Mary

Christy said...

This book is more beautiful in person if you can believe it. I know because I currently have it in my little paws. In fact I have completed one spread and am currently concocting the second spread :)

david santos said...

Excellent!

Barbara said...

Love the pop out circular bright pink page. Lizard pretty awesome crawling towards your words.

Mescrap said...

You're so creative in creating those pages. Love the round page with pearls.

Seuss's Cat said...

You coloured the Igauna - it looks amazing! Such a beautiful page and Iguana is very striking - certainly something you don't see all the time.

Kerin said...

I absolutely *love* the sea urchin page. It is so inspiring.

We live near the sea and do a lot of art with a sea theme and this really rocks! I envision an entire book with things such as this.

I have a tough time staying "flat" as I really like 3D but perhaps I'll have to make my very first altered book thanks to you!

Kerin
http://www.RemnantsOfOld.com